Thursday 13 March 2014

Hey, I made stuff

It seems logical to me to start with replicating various elements from wrought iron work, that way I can tell what translates well and design with these in mind. Decorative ironwork design seems to be based on repeating elements to build up a pleasing pattern.
One of the basic forms is the twisted square bar, because iron will only twist where it is heated, it is possible to introduce two opposing twists. Silver is inherently soft compared to iron but it may not move in the same way. The test is to see if I can use heat to twist one half clockwise and the other anticlockwise.
Starting with twisting without heat, you can see the progression in the photos, from mildly twisted, to very twisted to see how far I could push it and then to heating and twisting each half individualy. The mechanics are interesting, I have to twist and pull apart slightly to keep it straight, also, when I put the opposite twist in, the first unwinds a little. In the end I was able to get a repeatable pattern which is would rate as a success. I also really enjoy rhe oxides formed when heated as they indicate the process, in order to keep that I'll have to use cold joining techniques, so perhaps I'll use it in some pieces ajd not others.
I have included a picture of wrought iron twisted bars to show the types used. 
I will use this element I'm a ring to begin with (see photo of drawing)

No comments:

Post a Comment