Saturday 19 April 2014

You grow me like an evergreen....

I took some time yesterday to forge a bit of mild steel. I've watched videos where people forge the floral and vegetal details used in ironwork and wanted to get some experiential knowledge of these techniques. It's not as easy as it looks but it's not impossible.
Repeating these patterns on a smaller scale is the next step, as well as practising refining the larger forms.
As to coupling the pieces with poetry, I still want to do that but perhaps use a stanza and concept for an entire range. It feels like too much pressure on one piece to convey the message. Also I found I was getting too zoomed into making everything about one piece. This way, I can make several with the same theme.
The stanza I've chosen for the plant inspired metal forms is from the song Without you I'm nothing by Placebo:
"You grow me like an evergreen, you've never seen the lonely me at all"
I've chosen this line because, unlike their plant cousins, metal flowers do not wither or change once formed, making them evergreen. I also like the idea that without the wearer, the pieces would be lonely and would possibly deteriorate.
I've included some pictures of the process of forging a lily shape, the first test pieces as well as some floral metal work done by the experts.

No comments:

Post a Comment