Thursday 10 July 2014


I have forged a mild steel bangle which I plan to carve and inlay. I will use fine silver for the inlay and then use gun blueing techniques on the steel.

The blue is produced using a special liquid and heat to produce an oxide layer which looks great and stops rust from forming. I will look into older blueing techniques in the future. I have read an article that described how the same blue was achieved in medieval times through the use of oil and carbon dust and careful temperature control. I haven't been able to find the specifics though.

Both at work and in my btech I seem to be steered towards stylised floral motifs which I will use on this piece. I am investigating the cherry blossom as a motif, it has great symbolic references in the Japanese martial culture which is something I am interested in.





No comments:

Post a Comment