Sunday 10 May 2015

Gago In

You may have notices the red stamps appearing on my latest Enzo. This is a form of signing your name in China and Japan. There are different types of signature stamps for different uses. Official ones are obviously subject to many rules but an artists signature can be anything significant to the artist. You can read more about them here http://www.tessellations.org/seth-asian-chop-1.shtml

These are my first and are quite rough, some are really beautiful. I will carve others as artists stamps are normally made from stone, not wood like these.



I made one Enzo stamp and one which has been a part of my signature for years. I designed it in second year, 1996.

I bought a standard stationary ink stamp and red ink. The wood soaked up quite a bit on the first few times, but they're stamping quite nicely now. I had a bit of marble in my workshop a while ago, I'll see if I can find it and make some nicer looking ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment