Monday 1 September 2014

A productive weekend

I managed to get all the elements needed to make my pitch bowl and chisels.

I attached a brake part to a cut off bowls wood and filled most of the cavity with lead. I then melted the pine rosin and added plaster of paris, vegetable oil and a little black colouring. I found the recipe on the Following the Iron Brush forum. It has formed something akin to setters shellac rather than the softer pitch for reppouse. This makes sense as it's job is to hold the piece of metal while both hands are occupied with the hammer and chisel.

I also made a sand bag, just an old pillow case filled with garnet sand I had left over from a different project. Garnet sand great as it is denser than normal sand and the particles are all the same size as it is used in sand blasting.


I also cut old bastard files into strips to make the chisels. I was in contact with another knife maker who does this kind of work and he said old files are the right kind of steel. I still have to anneal the pieces, then shape their faces, then harden and temper them.






No comments:

Post a Comment