Tuesday 9 September 2014

Form beyond function

I've been picking away at my research topic, decorative iron work, or even the recent one of gold and steel. What I've come to realise is that there is a common thread through all my interests.

The need for unnecessary decoration.

I use 'unnecessary' in the sense that, once a clay pot is functional, why incise lines and glaze it?

I've looked to architectural iron work as I am interested in forging, yet that doesn't quite cover the essence of my question. When left to my own devices while making/designing jewellery, I tend to add a scroll, some millgrain or a little engraving. I do this because it pleases me when I see this in other work and I like to imagine the person viewing my work being pleasantly surprised by a little cut out underneath the pearl or whatever. Something akin to the azure method of cutting the underneath of settings.


Underneath of a mabe' setting


Beauty you have to look for






No comments:

Post a Comment