Saturday 14 February 2015

Katakiri bori

The image which sent me on the path of sumi-e is this one:
It is an example of a technique called katakiri bori. Katakiri bori is the use of lines with a specific veiw of recreating the brush strokes in sumi ink drawings. The depth and width of the lines are varied to provide a play of light and shadow. In western terms it may be refered to as shallow relief engraving or line engraving. 

It embodies a wonderful contradiction in that it looks simple compared to other types of carving however it is regarded as more difficult because there is no ornament to hide bad composition or technique. 

Here are some examples 






I have set my hand to some test plates of both copper and titanium, I need much more practice as can be seen. I would like to introduce the feeling of roundness of form within the lines as seen in the tree of the last picture.





No comments:

Post a Comment