Saturday 21 February 2015

Japanese aesthetic

An unexpected result of looking into Japanese techniques is the growing interest and respect I have for Japanese aesthetic sensibilities. I have always associated stark minimalism with the Japanese mindset but the more I look at examples of really great work, the more I see that rather than stripping everything down to almost nothing, the design philosophy is more like 'just enough'.

Being in the jewellery trade, I am possibly exposed to too much 'more is more' thought process. If something can be bigger, shinier, hold more diamonds and monetary value, then it is automatically better, both for the shop and the consumer. By contrast, although some Japanese designs may be complex or busy, if an element does not add to the balance, it is omitted.
This is a great example of just enough, the entire scene is set with just a few lines. 



No comments:

Post a Comment