Wednesday 7 May 2014

Conrad Hicks

Conrad Hicks is a Capetonian artist blacksmith, he forges gates, fences, sculpture, knives, kitchenware and furniture. Choosing a more traditional approach, all jointing is done using forge welding or riveting. Forge welding is where the steel is brought above forging temperature to white heat, placed next to or ontop of another piece of white hot steel and smashed together using either hand hammers or if the piece is large enough, power hammers.

The rationale behind using traditional techniques even though they take longer, is that you cannot replicate the look and feel of pieces made before arc welding was invented without following the same path as the old masters. A hole which is drifted looks different to a drilled hole, rivets which actually hold a piece in place look different to decorative rivets, mo matter how skillfully they are wrought.

" after I decided not to use arc welding in my designs, but rely wholly on blacksmithing techniques instead. Making this decision gave me a framework to work within and challenges to overcome, forcing me to push the boundaries of design possibilities. Imposing these limitations on myself gave my work meaning and it was in finding solutions to the problems I set, that I discovered my artistic purpose. " Conrad Hicks

I find that forging a piece of jewellery directly from the poured ingot gives me the same satisfaction. Somehow the route from smelting to finished piece speaks to the overall meaning, even if the it's not directly apparent to the observer. I think this is why I would like to leave some trace of the process in the finish.

"Keep your technique simple, but always be aware that your work reflects who you are. If you conform to mediocrity your work will never be anything more than mediocre. Your hammer marks are your brush strokes; they show how much you care for yourself and your work, and they can also reveal the opposite. Be proud of your ability to create a piece by hand, and wield your hammer with confidence. It is only through the development of self-awareness that we can create something truly unique." Conrad Hicks



No comments:

Post a Comment