Monday 5 May 2014

Jeanine Payer- Poetry with jewellery

"The idea of the secret is at the core of all that I make. The words are purposefully too tiny to read easily; this is the key to understanding what I am doing. It is always a process of mystery and discovery because the words are not immediately evident, and people sometimes have to use a magnifying glass. My work values the mysterious and revelatory in the way that poetry values these qualities with words. My designs are never about the ‘bling' and they are not for everyone; its artisanal, idiosyncratic, and very private."

Jeanine Payer inscribes poetry onto her jewellery, adding meaning in ways which would be difficult with visual cues alone. This is very similar to the way i wish to use poetry and lyrics with my pieces. I enjoy the concept of forcing people to examine the jewellery, looking for meaning in both the physical and metaphoric sense.

Her website is http://www.jeaninepayer.com/about


I understood love to be the very gravity holding each leaf, each cell, this earthly star together.

-Joy Harjo








A mountain keeps an echo
deep inside itself. That's how I hold your voice.
-Rumi, trans. by Coleman Barks

No comments:

Post a Comment