Monday 27 July 2015

Following the Iron Brush 2

As a reference for classical Japanese metalwork, especially as an English speaker, there is no better than Ford Hallam. When I first saw his work I was amazed, when I looked further and discovered the methods involved and the history of the tradition, my first thought was that moment of "when I grow up I want to do that!"

The only way it has been possible for me to access the knowledge I need to make the tools and learn their use has been through his Following the Iron Brush forum. There are various sections in the forum, from jewellery, art, netsuke and classical Japanese metalwork. Many users at different stages of development can share their experiences with excellent tips and tutorials by the more experienced people.

Ford is always available for comment if asked but usually the questions have been asked already and a quick search reveals the answer, often in more detail than I would have thought necessary.



No comments:

Post a Comment