Sunday 26 July 2015

Tiaan Burger

Tiaan Burger is a South African knifemaker and artist. I had been following his work on facebook because of the mutual interest in knife making. Recently he has also started posting some traditional Japanese carving which he learnt much the same way as myself, through the Iron Brush forum and by contacting Ford Hallam. He was able to spend some time in Ford's workshop as well which is something I would dearly like to do.

I contacted Tiaan and was fortunate enough to be able to interview him when he was in Durban on holiday. I am very interested in Tiaan's work because he doesn't just take Japanese techniques and carve Japanese motifs but rather uses Japanese techniques to carve South African scenery, fauna and flora. In the interview I asked about this and he said he likes to imagine a Japanese craftsman growing up in South Africa. The Japanese used their surroundings as inspiration, so too should we.

Traditional Japanese techniques and materials applied to South African scenery and animals.

Gathering motifs from your surroundings

Translating that into the traditional form of a tsuba or Japanese sword guard

No comments:

Post a Comment